At KPMG, our values define who we are and the way we do business. As a leading professional services firm, we know that our strength and capability come from our people – their different perspectives, experiences and backgrounds. From our inclusive leadership strategy to our diversity and inclusion targets – we’re making bold changes to who we are and what we do. Be part of it.
The Legal Services Team sits within KPMG Tax. Its establishment flows naturally from KPMG’s long history of successfully delivering multidisciplinary services to clients. Its vision is to be the legal adviser of choice for KPMG’s clients when it comes to their people, corporate structures, internal arrangements, regulatory requirements and disputes with HMRC. KPMG is now regulated by the SRA as a multi-disciplinary practice.
Core corporate, commercial and employment law teams, and a market leading tax litigation team, are already in place. Over the next few years, these teams will grow and Legal Services will expand into other areas of law that fit within its vision and the needs of KPMG’s clients.
KPMG Legal Services is for lawyers who are:
· Team players who enjoy working with people from different backgrounds and disciplines.
· Approachable people who are keen to develop personally and professionally, and to assist with the development of junior team members and build relationships.
· Lawyers with a passion for the law.
· Intellectually curious, open-minded and analytical people, with an eye for detail and pride in their work.
· Driven and proactive professionals who deliver a great service to their clients.
· Relationship builders who can spot and develop new opportunities both within the KPMG network and externally.
· Flexible people who are able to deal with a fluid, changing work environment.
Why you might want to join KPMG Legal Services:
· You can see the advantages of professional advice being provided within a multidisciplinary team.
· You are ambitious and perceive the wealth of opportunities presented by a start-up legal practice in a leading global professional services firm.
· You want the opportunity to develop client relationships and KPMG’s legal services capabilities.
· You are excited by the idea of being a founding member of a team that will grow significantly.
· You want to broaden your experience and become a more rounded professional.
· You want to achieve a sustainable work-life balance.
Role and responsibilities:
You will help the team with the following service offerings:
(i) Early legal and technical input into potential disputes with HMRC.
(ii) Reviewing a variety of ideas and situations and appraising for litigation risk.
(iii) Litigation in the Tax Tribunals, High Court, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and ECJ
This will include:
(i) First drafts of pleadings such as notices of appeal and witness statements.
(ii) First draft correspondence, advice and reports.
(iii) Legal research.
(iv) Case management of ‘group litigation’ cases.
(v) Preparing for hearing including preparing bundles of documents and authorities.
(vi) Instructions to Counsel, attending Conferences and preparing settled notes.
(vii) General litigation support.
(viii) Delegation to junior team members.
Education and qualifications:
The applicant will be a litigation lawyer with experience in litigation and/or tax dealing with commercial clients.
In addition, a successful applicant will have the ability to get up to speed quickly on technical matters and be keen to continue developing his/her legal skills and engage in new areas of work.
The applicant must be able to demonstrate his/her ability to build relationships with across KPMG or with clients. Good relationship building skills and organisation skills are essential skills as a high level of collaboration with the rest of the firm will be required for the role.
The successful applicant will help promote the team’s work through participating in team and wider firm events
It is expected that the successful applicant will be a qualified solicitor with strong, demonstrable PQE experience.
They will have experience across a number of taxes and in particular corporate taxes working in real estate and funds.
They must have tax litigation experience (i.e. not just general litigation experience) and previous experience in a similar role with a law firm or Big 4 practice is essential.
They will have experience with and a good understanding of the procedure before the UK Tribunals.
Strong academic, technical, drafting and personal skills are essential.